Wedding outfits 1/4 – My dress

This summer, amidst other things (like an international move), my baby brother got married! Go Lil G! Seeing as I had volunteered to make bridesmaids dresses (little ones, flower girls for you North American folk) for my brother in law, under similar circumstances, I felt obliged to offer the same to my own brother. Of course, because I am a recovering overachiever I also offered to make outfits for the small boy attendants, assuming it would just be for my own three, and OF COURSE when told they were thinking of also having two more small boys there, I said to myself that making three tiny rompers could not be much more work than one, AND THEN, of course… I had some of the most beautiful Seasalt Cornwall (not sponsored, though I would gladly rave about them more if they wanted me to!) printed cotton voile in my stash waiting to be made into a lovely late summer dress, so obviously, I made my dress too. So that’s what we’re going to talk about first!

IMG_20190808_160233
#sewinginreallife

The fabric is sadly no longer available as it is a limited run, like all their fabrics. It’s so worth snagging them if you like a print though, because the quality is absolutely fantastic. The voile is light, crisp, but not transparent. The print goes right through to the wrong side, but is perfectly sharp. I still have a bit left and you will be seeing more of this, because it would be a crime to waste!

For the pattern I initially decided to keep life simple and do another Hinterland, this time with a slightly longer length and “maybe something with the sleeves” to make it a bit more formal. Then, a few days before I was set to start, Meg posted a tutorial to change the neckline to a V and move the darts around to the bottom and I thought, “oh! let’s do that!” and then…. well a back V is so pretty, “let’s do that too! and why not a flutter sleeve? or a tie on the sleeve? OH! and definitely it should have buttons all the way down.” And then, it wasn’t so simple anymore. Especially as my initial thought of simply using the pattern I had cut was out the window as my measurements now but me a solidly one to two sizes down from the previous iteration (thanks post partum/stress weightloss… not.)

Several muslins (aka old bedsheets and curtains) and experiments and buttonholes later… It was a lovely dress to dance the night away in.

Eryn&Greg3324
Me and baby and baby bro, snappy dressers unite.

Love,
Belligerence&Chocolate

For more kids and cuteness see also:
Chinook’s romper
Sirocco’s waistcoat and trousers
Mistral’s dress

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s